PhDing ;-)

vrijdag, juli 14, 2006

Reading / Notebook arrived

Reading: I was reading the "The Simplest Query Language That could Possibly Work" from O'Keefe and Trotman, which Djoerd recomanded to me. The surprising thing is I didn't like the paper at all. First of all it flamed a lot on the "useless stuff the Datase-Query designers do" and how useful an IR-Query is. Where I think, in a context of structural documents, both problems are orthogonal and could well exist side by side. You could want to narrow down the number of books you want search in Library-XML-Dokument (structural - DB - query) and search in these books for certain content. Technical the paper wasn't perfect as well: the comparison of complexity of the various query standards was (probably) on the amount of pages the spec. has. Where this doesn't say a lot of the complexity.

Notebook: Today my new laptop arrived. It is a Acer - not a Thinkpad what I was dreaming about for quite some time. But it is cool stuff anyway. Has a dual centrino processor, 100gb serial ata hard drive etc. The software is not quite configured to my taste yet - but we are getting there...